Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Super-8 Story

  1. #1
    Inactive Member HenrySuper8's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 6th, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Alex wanted me to write something about buying film in a store, so here it is!

    I went to the Kodak Image Center in the town and asked for Kodachrome 40 film. The man in the shop said he didn't had any Super-8 film but that he could order. I asked for the price but he didn't know, he hadn't placed orders for many years (!).
    He opened the order book, and after a while he said: "sorry..."
    I went confused, i knew that kodak still makes super-8 film!
    He continued: "kodak does no longer produce the Kodachrome 40 Sound Film!"
    I felt lucky, finally i would get my film.
    The order was fast, just 2 days.

    I've just visited the shop two times but i'm already a "special client", something like "The Super-8 Guy" [img]smile.gif[/img]

    I think the man in the shop find it nice to deal with special orders. A little break from the "Kodak ISO200 for my Pocket Camera" stuff [img]smile.gif[/img]

    Today I posted my first exposed film to Kodak. Because of the distance to the lab (somewhere in mid europe, i live in Sweden) the processing will be done in 2-3 weeks [img]frown.gif[/img] I find it a very long time!

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I believe that Kodachrome Super-8 film is processed in Switzerland.

    It will be interesting to see how long it takes.

    So now you are officially the "Super-8 Guy"!

    What are your plans with the film when it comes back?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member HenrySuper8's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 6th, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well this first film was some kind of test film. I tried to film with and against light, in low light and so on, just to experiment and learn the bounds of the kodachrome 40's capacity. I also made a 10 sec animation with a wooden turtle walking around in my garden (or maybe running) [img]smile.gif[/img]

    I'll soon turn 18 and i sill get some money then. Some 18-year-old ppl buy a car, i'll buy a super-8 viewer and editing equipment [img]smile.gif[/img]

    Can you give me some tips about equipment, method and so on? It would be wery worthful for me!

    I found these two viewers in a store in Stockholm:
    Erno RE-903, NF - 3750SEK
    Erno RE-904, NF - 2950SEK
    (1$ = 10 SEK)

    Are they worth the money? What else do I need?

    Looking forward to hear from you!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    are we talking 3750 SEK or 375.0 SEK? Cause THe former is like 386 USD which would be way high.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ah, I just noticed that the 904 NF is the equivalent to the Goko RM 8008 which is a very high end unit. The price is about correct but its still alot to spend on an editor. I would be more inclined to spend that much on a camera.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member HenrySuper8's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 6th, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    386 USD is the price...

  7. #7
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    Wibergs Foto the place?

    Those editors are indeed of the best ever made offering sound playback and recording. Of course sound film is no longer sold but you can still post strip your film and add sound after.

    Some nice silent editor/viewers are the Elmo 912, Erno EM-1801 (Goko MM-1).

    If your plans are to project your film then you would still need a splicer and projector.

    I like the Elmo ST series of projectors. Some of the late Bauers are nice too. If you want the best and can afford it look for the ELmo GS-1200 or Beaulieu 708EL.

    Splicers for tape try Ciro guillotine (metal bodied preferred) or Hama, Wurker. For cement the Bolex cement is very good if in working orfer. LPL made a good one also which can be had cheaply. Use fresh cement.

  8. #8
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The Elmo GS-800 is the more affordable version of the 1200, it doesn't have the brighter bulb, but it is an excellent machine....although, keep in mind, they are over 20 years old now.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member HenrySuper8's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 6th, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, Wibergs Foto is the store. I live close to Stockholm so it would be nice. I really want to add soundtracks to my films so i think i will buy one of those editors. How does this post strip thing work?
    Give me some advice of good sound Super-8 projectors please!

  10. #10
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    I have heard (key word is heard) that the sound quality is the not the greatest with the Erno/Goko sound recording editors. Sound projectors are suppose to record better. One of the more affordable quality sound projectors is the Elmo ST-1200 HD . It offers 2 track recording, its very nice (I have one [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] ). Bauer sound projectors are said to be very good. I know the T610 is the top of the line stereo model. Others may have some recommended ones.

    Alex: The GS-800 is more affordable but its rare and different than the GS-1200. The GS-1200 has 4 different motors to control takeup, fan, reverse and rewind. No rubber belts are used. The GS-1200 also has a built in synchronizer for double system sound with pulses. I have the GS-1200 also and it is quite a beast. I've thrown my back picking up the **** thing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •